Thursday, November 29, 2012

Ceramic Stemmed Goblets


Much of my art is about gardening.  I am also very interested in functional ware.  I enjoy using pottery that has weight and texture that some manufactured pieces don't have.  I like the feel of the piece in my hand.  I have used the hand building method to make these goblets.  That means that the wheel was not used and all these pieces started from a slab of clay that I textured. These are 6.5" hgt.
These goblets are what I enjoy drinking wine from.  One uses many senses sipping wine; smell, taste, judging the color.  I already know there are legs on the sides of the goblet, I don't need to see those.  I like the modest weight of the goblet and the texture too.  Hgt 5".
It is fun to think of different designs that fit your hand.  I like a thick stem sometimes.
Hgt 5.5"
 These are a more traditional looking style. Hgt 7.5 "

More thick stemmed style.   I like the glaze sinking into the deeper parts of the texture.  Hgt 6"

No comments: